The Department of National Heritage is a government department dedicated to the protection and promotion of Malaysia’s rich national heritage. The department began as a Heritage Division under the Ministry of Culture, Arts and Heritage, Kementerian Kebudayaan, Kesenian dan Warisan, KEKKWA.
By 1 March 2006, the KEKKWA Heritage Division had joined together with the Antiquities Division from The Department of Museum Malaysia, in order to form the Department of National Heritage.
The Department is responsible for preserving and maintaining the National Heritage, as stipulated in the National Heritage Act 2005 (Act 625).
1.We implement and enforce the provisions under the National Heritage Act 2005 (Act 625)
2. We register and gazette buildings, landscapes, archaeological sites, underwater archaeological sites, objects, intangible cultural heritage, and people of national heritage significance in the ‘National Heritage Register’.
3. We protect, conserve and maintain items on the National Heritage Register
4. We conduct research and development relating to heritage.
5. We document and publish research findings and reference materials relating to heritage
6. We plan, implement and coordinate heritage related activities
7. We help prepare nomination files for World Heritage Sites and other International inscriptions such as Memory of the World and Intangible Cultural Heritage
8. We help monitor World Heritage Sites in Malaysia